Skip to main content

Music Edition #2


I have to be honest, when I'm down, RAP MUSIC cheers me up. It inspires me, enlightens me and reiterates to me what I already know. It lets me know that the rules that I set for myself that I try and live by everyday, there are others out there trying to do the same. Then I'm reminded that I am not alone when I sometimes feel I've become stuck, when I see that the speed bumps have become a lil' higher than usual, it's cool, I will cross over them regardless.

But I have noticed that RAP MUSIC is thee ONLY music that does this for me. Don't get me wrong, I am very varied in my taste of tunes, however RAP is one of my FAVORITES. It is thee ONLY music that can say to me in so many words:

"STOP CRYING. GET UP. SHUT UP AND GET BACK ON YOUR GRIND. IT'S NOT IN YOUR DNA TO QUIT. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE YOU AND NO MATTER WHAT, YOU WILL ALWAYS CROSS THE FINISH LINE. YOU ARE A WINNER! SO REGROUP, LOOK AT THE SITUATION AS A WHOLE, SEE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO DIFFERENTLY, PLAN IT OUT AND ACT ON IT."

Wow!!! I guess you can say that is the testosterone in me (because in certain situations I feel like a dude sometimes. LOL!). I think it's because it is known that a real man perseveres (not saying that women don't) understand, I'm saying that men a lot of the time don't gripe, they just do, and that's sometimes what RAP MUSIC brings out in me.

For instance I was recently down in my spirit (and I know what some of you are thinking, why not play gospel music? But that is for another blog post for another time. LOL!) anyway, I was cleaning and listening to Pandora and all of a sudden I heard a song that I hadn't heard in a long time, that I completely forgot about. I used to play it everyday all day for at least two months. (Because I'm a repeat Queen. LWM!) That song is called "Mr. 17.5 by Young Jezzy" on his album called "The Inspiration."

Woo!!! I immediately felt better, I started to see through my situation and by the time the song was done, I was done; weeping, no longer feeling sad. I remembered who I was and who I am and easily like I never fell off, got back on my grind. Amazing. Since that day I've been banging that song once again because it has been once again, a great INSPIRATION for me to realign my steps to start again.

Now, I don't want you to mistake this, this is not a replacement for prayer but I believe whether you believe it or not God has a way of giving you extra; and I do most definitely appreciate it. He knows me so well, I've learned that I (ME) can never wallow IN my sadness for too long, (even though I may want to) I can't because it's just not IN ME to do so. However, It is said that God knew us before we were born in the belly so I know, he knew that I needed a Lil' more to tackle the problems embedded in my life and when there is a song that can uplift my spirit I can REALLY get through my pain, sorrow and the burdens I was born to bear; and I thank HIM for that.

It's funny what you can learn about yourself when spending time with yourself, listening to your favorite song or type of music and become relaxed in your thinking. And when I'm listening to music, the process varies, sometimes it may not be the lyrics that I can relate to, just the music behind it all. Other times it is the lyrics that put me in perspective or the overall of how the song was put together. Like for Mr. 17.5, it takes me away to a place in my thoughts, and a place in my mind of how I want to see my reality, what I need to do to do so and then it puts me in a positive but emotional place that will signify to me that the negative vibes and jealousies of others don't matter.

The only thing that matters to me is that I continue to treat people the way that I want to be treated, stay focused on my goals and dreams, remember to be a Lil selfish to ensure that I don't give my whole self away to others and be stuck with nothing. It also makes me feel justified in the decisions I've made in reflection of cutting certain people out of my life who caused me harm or I saw way beyond what they could cost me if I continued to allow them their insertion in my life.

So, with all of that said, thanks "Young Jezzy" for providing that song "Mr. 17.5" for it truly provides an INSPIRATIONAL feel for me and a positive move forward. I hope all who is reading can find inspiration in a song to keep you going and to remember not to let NO ONE STOP YOU. Because truth be told... I DARE NOT LET ANYONE STOP ME, NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY DESPISE IT.

One of my favorite quotes in that song:

New shoes on the Range Rover. I'm good with mine.
Mother &%^$#@'s act like I ain't supposed to shine.
~Young Jezzy

Until...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just cause you love me and I love you...

"Just cause I love you and you love me; It doesn't mean that we're meant to be" Jazmine Sullivan The above quote is the truest statement I've ever heard spoken in my life. As old as I am and as much wisdom as I've been blessed enough to collect to keep and live by. I don't think that I've ever thought about love in a relationship that way. I don't know about you, but I've been in love with two men at the same time before and it was the most difficult position I've ever been in. Because I always believed that things happen for a reason and so, it must be meant. But that's not always the case. Sometimes things are placed in your path to make you either appreciate what you already have, maybe uplift you to keep you going, or give you a hint of wisdom to do something different. Doesn't always mean that they are meant to stay in your life forever. We've all heard that saying " Some people come into your life for a life tim

Morgan Bailey Coffee and Until

Welcome to all of my beautiful readers!!! I know a lot of you love having a cup of Jo as you read material of your interest and so do I. And what I'm most proud of and happy to announce is that I am now one of the representers of a company called Morgan Bailey Coffee & Tea!!! One of Oprah's favorite things by the way! As a poet, writer and literary columnist I'm happy to be associated with a drink that everyone loves!!! Furthermore that has a long standing relationship with readers, writers, and poets that dates back for many years. A press release is coming soon about my position. I am so EXCITED!!! LOL! Meanwhile, I urge you to introduce your taste buds to Morgan Bailey Coffee & Tea at www.morganbaileycoffee.com. Happy Holidays and please enjoy as I and many others do. Fondly Until...

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I have to say for me, I've always believed it, in a fairy tale kind of way. You know, like the way you believe in Santa Claus or the story of Cinderella, etc..., and I have to admit that though I've become older, I gotta' tell you that I, in a small way still believe in those dreamy fairy tales , call me crazy, but I do! I mean even though I learned that my family was the actual (Santa Claus) I still believe, in that story. But with that being said, I always believed that love at first sight indeed happens. I just never believed it could or actually would happen to me, in my life. I encountered this years ago, it was one of the most amazing things that has ever happened to me. I mean, I really felt like I was shot by an arrow of cupid. It happened just as simple as this; he walked in, my head was down, he asked me a question, I looked up to respond and our eyes locked ; I can't even begin to describe the feeling that entered inside of my being, my mind, my entire sou