Skip to main content

Poetry, Spoken Word, Hip-Hop; which one?

So many people ask this question, which one? I ask, why do we have to choose? I say, I love them all, and to be honest, I am all. I do all. I started writing poetry at the age of twelve, starting writing rhymes at the age of fourteen and performing them at the age of eighteen. As for spoken word, I began that journey at age fifteen.

You see, I’m in a generation of all and I see nothing wrong with that. I believe that they are all great mediums for whatever your gift can be utilized and/or transformed through. I feel that it’s whatever one feels most comfortable doing, which one comes natural or whatever is your preference.

I also believe that neither one is better than the other, they are all beautiful, they all evoke different modes, messages, feelings and era of times for a variety of people. And not only that it kind of steams me to know that people want other’s to choose between the three because the truth of the matter is; if you’re gifted enough, talented enough, great enough, you can blend the three, make a marriage of them to never separate. Or if your choice is to have them individually that’s fine.

But it’s all beautiful art and no one should look down their nose at either because they all are words to be read as poetry, to be melodically spoken as the spoken word or creatively spitted like hip hop. And after reading this, none of you can tell me you don’t like the following artist listed below:

Nikki Giovanni (poetry/spoken word)

Jay- Z (hip-hop)

Common (poet/spoken word/hip-hop)

Jill Scott (spoken word)

Saul Williams (spoken word/ poet)

Robert Frost (poet)

Galway Kinnel (poet)

2pac (poet and hip-hop) and many more

Each artist you see listed above is in one of those categories and all are equally beautiful. I love them all regardless of the genre.
Until…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just cause you love me and I love you...

"Just cause I love you and you love me; It doesn't mean that we're meant to be" Jazmine Sullivan The above quote is the truest statement I've ever heard spoken in my life. As old as I am and as much wisdom as I've been blessed enough to collect to keep and live by. I don't think that I've ever thought about love in a relationship that way. I don't know about you, but I've been in love with two men at the same time before and it was the most difficult position I've ever been in. Because I always believed that things happen for a reason and so, it must be meant. But that's not always the case. Sometimes things are placed in your path to make you either appreciate what you already have, maybe uplift you to keep you going, or give you a hint of wisdom to do something different. Doesn't always mean that they are meant to stay in your life forever. We've all heard that saying " Some people come into your life for a life tim

Morgan Bailey Coffee and Until

Welcome to all of my beautiful readers!!! I know a lot of you love having a cup of Jo as you read material of your interest and so do I. And what I'm most proud of and happy to announce is that I am now one of the representers of a company called Morgan Bailey Coffee & Tea!!! One of Oprah's favorite things by the way! As a poet, writer and literary columnist I'm happy to be associated with a drink that everyone loves!!! Furthermore that has a long standing relationship with readers, writers, and poets that dates back for many years. A press release is coming soon about my position. I am so EXCITED!!! LOL! Meanwhile, I urge you to introduce your taste buds to Morgan Bailey Coffee & Tea at www.morganbaileycoffee.com. Happy Holidays and please enjoy as I and many others do. Fondly Until...

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I have to say for me, I've always believed it, in a fairy tale kind of way. You know, like the way you believe in Santa Claus or the story of Cinderella, etc..., and I have to admit that though I've become older, I gotta' tell you that I, in a small way still believe in those dreamy fairy tales , call me crazy, but I do! I mean even though I learned that my family was the actual (Santa Claus) I still believe, in that story. But with that being said, I always believed that love at first sight indeed happens. I just never believed it could or actually would happen to me, in my life. I encountered this years ago, it was one of the most amazing things that has ever happened to me. I mean, I really felt like I was shot by an arrow of cupid. It happened just as simple as this; he walked in, my head was down, he asked me a question, I looked up to respond and our eyes locked ; I can't even begin to describe the feeling that entered inside of my being, my mind, my entire sou