Skip to main content

Poet Elizabeth Alexander (after the fact)

Her poem in words, were great. The poem in language was simple but inspiring. However I looked at the simplicity of her performance. She read off of paper (rather than note cards), nor memorization. She gave voice (by projecting) but no emotional tone. She stayed even toned, robotic sounding almost which could have been read from the crowd as "I want you to hear what I'm saying but I need to pace myself so I won't mess up and I need to hurry up." She gave no feeling that HER words needed, because they were so important.She had no beginning. No middle. No end.
The audience didn't even know that she was done or that she had concluded her poem. Now, please note that I do not judge her on what she wrote as far as the style whether it be "Prose, Sonnet or Free verse and so on because in my opinion regardless of what you write, it is up to you to bring it to life. So you ask, overall was the poem there? Yes. Now ask me if she stood behind it? No. That is where a small disappointment comes in. Am I sympathetic that she was nervous? Yes.
There were millions of people in her audience and she's never had to do that before. And last but not least she had to come right behind the president. But at the same time (she had the most important spot, the place of serious impact), even more reason to Command Attention, Make them Listen, Project and Feel, Bring your audience in (you're grown and you have something to say).
They, more than ever needed her to excite their ears, open their eyes and leave them in awe so not only did they hear Barack; they also heard that she either summarized in a poetic theme/dream as to what the "First African American President" had to say. Or she captivated them to let them know what that day meant to her, the American People, the past and everyone in between. Now with all of that said, I am still proud that Barack commissioned a "Poet" (and very happy) she could oblige. It's beautiful that there was a "Poet" to represent. It showed that poetry is still needed, wanted, respected and honored. And even though there are many of us with mixed feelings as to how the Elizabeth Alexander performed and about the poem she read, it doesn't matter because at the end of the day; the prestige came.
She is the fourth poet ever to present at an inauguration. She is now mentioned among the likes of Robert Frost, Maya Angelou and Miller Williams. She is another one who has now paved the way for others to maybe one day to be blessed to be called upon to do there dream, which is read there creative thoughts in what we call "Poetry"... after the next new founded president. Thank you Elizabeth!!!

Until...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just cause you love me and I love you...

"Just cause I love you and you love me; It doesn't mean that we're meant to be" Jazmine Sullivan The above quote is the truest statement I've ever heard spoken in my life. As old as I am and as much wisdom as I've been blessed enough to collect to keep and live by. I don't think that I've ever thought about love in a relationship that way. I don't know about you, but I've been in love with two men at the same time before and it was the most difficult position I've ever been in. Because I always believed that things happen for a reason and so, it must be meant. But that's not always the case. Sometimes things are placed in your path to make you either appreciate what you already have, maybe uplift you to keep you going, or give you a hint of wisdom to do something different. Doesn't always mean that they are meant to stay in your life forever. We've all heard that saying " Some people come into your life for a life tim

Morgan Bailey Coffee and Until

Welcome to all of my beautiful readers!!! I know a lot of you love having a cup of Jo as you read material of your interest and so do I. And what I'm most proud of and happy to announce is that I am now one of the representers of a company called Morgan Bailey Coffee & Tea!!! One of Oprah's favorite things by the way! As a poet, writer and literary columnist I'm happy to be associated with a drink that everyone loves!!! Furthermore that has a long standing relationship with readers, writers, and poets that dates back for many years. A press release is coming soon about my position. I am so EXCITED!!! LOL! Meanwhile, I urge you to introduce your taste buds to Morgan Bailey Coffee & Tea at www.morganbaileycoffee.com. Happy Holidays and please enjoy as I and many others do. Fondly Until...

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I have to say for me, I've always believed it, in a fairy tale kind of way. You know, like the way you believe in Santa Claus or the story of Cinderella, etc..., and I have to admit that though I've become older, I gotta' tell you that I, in a small way still believe in those dreamy fairy tales , call me crazy, but I do! I mean even though I learned that my family was the actual (Santa Claus) I still believe, in that story. But with that being said, I always believed that love at first sight indeed happens. I just never believed it could or actually would happen to me, in my life. I encountered this years ago, it was one of the most amazing things that has ever happened to me. I mean, I really felt like I was shot by an arrow of cupid. It happened just as simple as this; he walked in, my head was down, he asked me a question, I looked up to respond and our eyes locked ; I can't even begin to describe the feeling that entered inside of my being, my mind, my entire sou